balshy-brooklyn

This is me, just the way I am. There will probably be some ranting and ravings at some point. I probably give too much personal information for the average persons taste. Most people tell me I'm weird. I think that I'm normal and everyone else is weird! I guess you can be the judge of that. Although, even if you think I'm weird .... I don't care ... I think you're on crack!

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

That's Ms. Homeowner To You!

So yesterday was the closing day for my new house. It's a condo townhouse, that I bought with my best friend. We're both excited, because that means we get to move out of the hood! Yay us!! It's in a nice area of town and includes a complex pool and a basketball court. We even have a backyard. A perfect place for future neices/nephews and my darling chihuahuas. So I had my final walkthrough that morning. It was scheduled for 9:30. My real estate agent was a bit late, but that's fine...it's to be expected in that business. However, my lawyer, who is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING, called me at 9:40 to see how the walkthrough went. He's so on the ball, reasonably priced and honest ... which I know is hard to find. Things that had to be done by the seller included all of the tenants possessions are to be removed and all new floor vents (because the current ones were disgusting .. as in dirty and decaying) I pull up into my new driveway...and there is a pile of junk outside the townhouse. Not a small pile...but a rather large one, probably almost the size of my minivan. The pile included garbage, lampshades, wood, a vaccuum, recycling, garbage, and a couple of pee stained mattresses. mmm, yummy. Then I get inside and I was in shock! The place smelled so bad, and I knew the place would be dirty, but I had no idea how dirty it was until all of the previous occupants items were gone. There was a substantial hole in the wood panelling in the basement ... which was new. And the seller also didn't replace the cool air vent. Lazy butt! It's something that has to be special ordered, so he didn't bother doing it. So my lawyer got us some money because we have to replace the vent and fix the wall. I also had to run to Home Depot to price these items because the sellers laywer offered an insulting amount. I'm glad I had the day off. But despite the hiccups, everything is all done and signed. The place is ours! Last night Keri & I went to the new place for a couple of hours, and managed to rip out all of the carpeting & underlay in the upstairs and on the stairs going upstairs. We are quite proud of ourselves. In the process of ripping out carpet, we found some gifts from the previous occupants. They left us a shrimp tail in the bedroom, a half eaten lollypop in the front hall closet, some used Q-tips, the walls have that yellowey/brown grease goo all over the kitchen and a suprise in the bathroom. Thankfully it was just pee, but come on! How difficult is it to flush a toilet??? They also left us some hideous window treatments, a couple bars of used soap and some pads.... but they took the toilet paper. People are weird...and very, very dirty. I mean the bad kind of dirty, not the good kind. I like good dirty. TMI, sorry. We also found out that the patio door lock isn't working. So I had to find some peices of wood to jam in the door. I have all my tools there and definately don't want them to get stolen. I have the locksmith coming this weekend, and he'll rekey the door, add a deadbolt and fix the balcony door lock. Wow! This home buying/owning is hard work. But I sure can't wait to do more renovations. We both have 9 days off so we'll be doing some major work at the new place. I'm VERY excited to see how it will look after we put our personal touches into the house. I'm hoping it's unrecognizeable. I'll let you know.

1 Comments:

At 1:36 p.m., Blogger Kim said...

congrats! welcome to the wonderful world of home ownership...where you're responsible for everything!

glad things turned out well after you recovered from the "hiccups".

...can't wait to see the before/after pics :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home